Canadian Coast Guard based in Victoria, BC is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Cook, Chief Cook. Canadian Coast Guard can be defined as a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). We work to embrace proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians. We are known to be responsible for duties such as response to on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade. We have also got an announcement by the government of Canada, an Oceans Protection Plan, a whole of government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. We are known to be dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We always look for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or casual employment. The candidate has to work in Secondment, Specified Period, Indeterminate, shift work, rotating hours and variable hours of work.
Employer Name: Canadian Coast Guard
Position: Cook, Chief Cook
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $59,436 to $63,348 annually
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Victoria, BC
Last Date of Application: 31st December, 2022
Shifts: Secondment, Specified Period, Indeterminate, shift work, rotating hours, variable hours of work.
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language.
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualifications such as a cook’s certificate issued by a recognized institute or a Ship’s Cook Certificate issued by Transport Canada Marine Safety. Candidates need a valid Food Safety Training. Candidates need a Valid Basic Marine First Aid or Marine Advanced First Aid
Experience: Candidates need experience in the Hospitality Industry or in an institutional setting as a cook or chef
Note: The candidates who meet the experience for this position but do not have the occupational certification may be deemed partially qualified until such time as they successfully challenge their Ship’s Cook Certificate issued by Transport Canada. Upon issuance of a Ship’s Cook certificate by Transport Canada, the candidate will then become fully qualified.
Note: Other experience details are mentioned below.
- The candidate should be able to work in a Marine environment
- The candidate should be able to work in a sea
- The candidate should be someone who can be relied on
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate Integrity and Respect
- The candidate should have an effective interpersonal skills
- The candidate need a valid WHMIS certificate
- The candidate should be able to supervise the staff
- The candidate should be able to provisioning (stock ordering) and/or providing logistical support
- The candidate should be able to manage a budget and/or inventory
- The candidate should be able to plan menu
- The candidate should have a valid Reliability Security Clearance
- The candidate should have a completed a basic safety training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties, Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Basic Safety
- The candidate should have completed a Survival Craft training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats. The course should be completed within 6 months of employment
- The candidate should have a valid Seafarers Medical (new hires: Transport Canada Marine Medical or Health Canada Periodic 3)
- The candidates who are a Canadian citizen, need a valid Canadian passport or for Canadian Permanent Residents, A Valid Passport from a recognized Passport Issuing Authority.
- The candidate must be willing and able to wear a Respiratory Protection device and meet the standard of the CCG Respiratory Protection Program – RPP
- The candidate must be willing to wear and maintain a uniform per Canadian Coast Guard standards, inclusive of CSA approved safety footwear and maintain job related personal safety equipment
- The candidate must be willing and able to be deployed
- The candidate must be willing and able to perform Overtime work as required, often on short notice
- The candidate must be willing and able to work aboard a vessel for up to 42 consecutive days
- The candidate must be willing and able to travel by air, land, or by sea
- All the candidates who are hired as the part of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- The candidate must be willing to travel
- The candidate should be able to provide input to the Chief Cook in planning the ship’s cyclical, formal and special occasion menus
- The candidate should be able to modify recipes to suit the dietary and special needs of passengers and crew
- The candidate should be able to assist in preparing and cooking all food, planning and organizing its operation, assisting in storing of food and maintenance of the galley and its equipment
- The candidate should be able to ensure a high standard of food safety and sanitation throughout the galley
- The candidate should be able to participate in shipboard emergency and safety drills, firefighting, abandoning ship, man overboard, damage control and other operations such as rescue
- The candidate should be able to provide all support necessary to ensure Canadian Coast Guard meets its mandate
- The employees get to work in a well known company
- The employees get an inclusive and a barrier free work environment
- The employees get to work in a place who is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve.
- The employees get employment equity at the work environment
- The employees get competitive salary and other financial benefits
- The employees get various paid leave benefits
The Canadian Coast Guard is known to be entrusted to deliver valuable programs and services to Canadians that save lives, protect the environment and support our Canadian economy. The company is known to offer an exciting sea-going and shore-based career opportunities in the delivery of critical maritime safety, security and response services. The company has also recieved a special recognition as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume and certifications/training certificates that are listed above) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!