Canadian Coast Guard (an Agency of Fisheries and Oceans Canada) based in Fleet St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador) and, Dartmouth (Nova Scotia) is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Crewing Assistant and MariTime Keeper Positions. Canadian Coast Guard can be defined as a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). We work to embrace proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians. We are known to be responsible for duties such as response to on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade. We have also got an announcement by the government of Canada, an Oceans Protection Plan, a whole of government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. We are known to be dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We always look for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians.
The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or permanent employment. The shifts the candidate has to work are yet to be determined. When the candidate applies to this selection process, he/she is not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. The positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Employer Name: Canadian Coast Guard (an Agency of Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
Position: Crewing Assistant and MariTime Keeper Positions
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: Crewing Assistant (CR-04) Salary Range – $50,821 to $54,857 per year and MariTime Keeper (AS-01) Salary Range – $54,878 to $61,379 per year
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Fleet St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador) and, Dartmouth (Nova Scotia)
Shifts: To be determined
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English or French Languages according to the locations.
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualification such as a secondary school (high school) according to provincial or territorial standards or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D.). The candidate need a successful completion of a post-secondary diploma in business administration or in another field relevant to the duties of the position.
Experience: Candidates need experience of working in various departments the details to the same are explained below
Note 1: Marine Certificate of Competency includes Transport Canada 4th Class Motor Marine Engineering, or higher, Canadian Coast Guard Electrical Officer, Transport Canada Air Cushion Vessel (ACV) Engineer, Class 1 or Other marine-related certificate of competency with an explanation of how that certificate relates to the maintenance and repair of marine equipment.
Note 2: Successful completion of a Provincial or Territorial Trade Certificate of Qualification in one of the following disciplines can be defined as Electrical Technologist, Electro-Mechanical Technologist, Industrial Technologist, Marine Engineering Systems Technologist
and Mechanical Technologist
Note 3: The successful completion of a Provincial or Territorial Trade Certificate of Qualification can be one of the following disciplines such as Agricultural Equipment Technician, Automotive Service Technician, Heavy Duty Equipment Technician, Industrial Electrician, Instrumentation and Control, Marine Engine Technician, Millwright, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic and Truck and Coach Technician
- The candidate should be able to travel worldwide
- The candidate should be able to work in a fast-paced operational environment
- The candidates should be able to work in an office environment in a team of approx
- The candidate should be able to complete other work and travel related tasks
- The candidate must have experience in providing client service in a high pace environment via telephone, in writing or in person.
- The candidate must have experience in data entry and verification.
- The candidate must have experience in using Microsoft Office ( outlook, word, excel).
- The candidate must have experience in payroll services, finance or accounting; compensation calculations, verifications, reviews, auditing, validating and processing compensation transactions.
- The candidate must have experience analyzing, interpreting and providing rationales of compensation transactions.
- The candidate must have the ability to establish priorities and organize workload with competing deadlines in a high pace environment.
- The candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively orally.
- The candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- The candidate must be able to demonstrate integrity and respect
- The candidate must be able to work effectively with others
- The candidate must be able to show initiative and being action-oriented
- The candidate must be able to think things through
- The candidate should be able to pay attention to detail
- The candidate should be someone who can be dependent on
- The candidate must have experience and exposure in the marine industry such as crewing agency experience , seagoing personnel, arranging logistics of personnel.
- The candidate must have experience working with Transport Canada marine certifications.
- The candidate must have experience using on-line travel booking, and preparing and/or verifying travel claims.
- The candidate must have experience working with collective agreements, increments and service level dates.
- The candidate must have experience working with terms and conditions of employment.
- The candidates must have experience in Human Resource administration.
- The candidates must have experience using databases such as MariTime, Phoenix Pay System, Peoplesoft, SAP or GCdocs
- The candidate must be able to provide a Reliability Status security clearance
- The candidate must be able to work outside office hours
- The candidates who are hired as the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- The candidate should be able to maintain the MariTime Timekeepers, manage the leave, overtime and pay entitlements for seagoing personnel
- The candidate should be able to take care of the seagoing personnel communicate to us in timesheets both paper and electronic formats
- The candidate must be able to analyse the time sheets, and enter the information accurately into the database systems that ensure the seagoing employees receive their pay and entitlements.
- The candidate sometimes must be able to handle complex timesheets
- The candidate must be able to work in a high-paced environment
- The employees get to work in a well known company
- The employees get an inclusive and a barrier free work environment
The employees get to work in a place who is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve.
- The employees get employment equity at the work environment
- The employees get competitive salary and other financial benefits
- The employees get to work in accordance to flexible work arrangements, volunteer days, and family-related leave
- The employees get learning and training opportunities to get support in their current and future career
- The employees get to work with one of the Canada’s top employers
The Canadian Coast Guard is known to be entrusted to deliver valuable programs and services to Canadians that save lives, protect the environment and support our Canadian economy. The company is known to offer an exciting sea-going and shore-based career opportunities in the delivery of critical maritime safety, security and response services. The company has also received a special recognition as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume and being prepared for the screening questions) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!