Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Canadian Coast Guard based in Fleet Victoria (British Columbia) is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Engineering Officer. Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Canadian Coast Guard can be said as a federal institution, that is responsible for safeguarding waters and managing Canada’s fisheries and oceans resources. We are known to ensure healthy and sustainable aquatic ecosystems through habitat protection and sound science. We are known to support economic growth in the marine and fisheries sectors, and innovation in areas such as aquaculture and biotechnology. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or permanent employment. The candidate must be able to work in Casual, Term, Indeterminate, Acting, Assignment, shift work, rotating hours, and variable hours of work shifts. When the candidate applies to this selection process, he/she is not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. The positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Employer Name: Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Canadian Coast Guard
Position: Engineering Officer
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $33.02 to $39.10 per hour, $33.02 to $36.99 per hour, $35.01 to $39.10 per hour
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Fleet Victoria (British Columbia)
Last date of Application: 31st December, 2022
Shifts: Casual, Term, Indeterminate, Acting, Assignment, shift work, rotating hours, and variable hours of work
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language.
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualification such as a Transport Canada Certificate of Competency, 4th Class Engineer Motor Ship with valid STCW Continued Proficiency Endorsement.
Note: The candidate requires to provide a copy of the Transport Canada Certificate of Competency with valid STCW Continued Proficiency Endorsement
Experience: Candidates need experience in various fields, the details of the same are mentioned below.
Note: The purpose of experiencing a “day” is defined as a calendar day during which the applicant was engaged onboard a vessel and performed a minimum of 8 hours work. The day an applicant signs on and the day they sign off may be credited in combination as no more than one day.
To be determined
- The candidates should have judgement skills
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate integrity and respect
- The candidate should have an effective interpersonal skills
- The candidate should have Transport Canada Certificate of Competency, 3rd, 2nd or 1st Class Engineer Motor Ship with valid STCW Continued Proficiency Endorsement.
- The candidate should have Transport Canada Certificate of Competency 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st Class Engineer, Steamship with valid STCW Continued Proficiency Endorsement
- The candidate should have Marine Emergency Duties Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) – Basic Safety training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties, Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Basic Safety
- The candidate should have Marine Emergency Duties STCW – Survival Craft training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats
- The candidate should have Marine Emergency Duties Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) – Advanced Firefighting training course completed within the last 5 years OR valid Marine Emergency Duties, Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Advanced Firefighting
- The candidate should have a Valid Marine Advanced First Aid Certificate
- The candidate should have an operational experience as an engineer of the watch of 168 days.
- The candidate should have an operational experience as assistant to the engineer of the watch of 168 days
- The candidate should have experience refit and/or dry-docking and/or Self Maintenance 56 days (can be a combination of refit/dry dock or self maintenance)
- The candidate should have experience in the use and maintenance of a Safety Management System
- The candidate should have experience with computer based maintenance system
- The candidate should have experience with troubleshooting engineering systems
- The candidate should be able to provide documentation of Operational and/or Working Days and Copies of Testimonials may be assessed at a later date and therefore are not required to be submitted at the time of initial application.
- The candidate should have a valid Marine Medical with no limitations
- The candidate must hold a Transport Canada Marine Medical valid for the occupation group to which they have applied (Deck, Engine, or Catering) prior to initial hire. With this, a Health Canada Occupational Health Medical must be completed after initial hire and must be maintained as an ongoing condition of employment
- The candidate should have a valid Canadian passport or other valid travel documents/visas permitting entry to Canadian and United States Ports of Calls
- The candidate must be willing and able to wear a Respiratory Protection device and meet the standard of the CCG Respiratory Protection Program – RPP
- The candidate must have a willingness to wear and maintain a uniform per Canadian Coast Guard standards, inclusive of CSA approved safety footwear, and maintain job related personal safety equipment
- The candidate must be willing and able to be deployed
- The candidate must be willing and able to perform overtime work as required, often on short notice;
- The candidate must have the willingness to go to sea for prolonged periods of time (including Arctic Waters) in adverse weather conditions, and on various classes of vessels; and
- The candidate must be willing and able to travel by air, land and sea.
- The candidate should be available on the provided email for updates and answer job related questions
- The candidates who are hired as the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- The candidate should be able to supervise the operation, maintenance and repair of the main propulsion plant, electrical plant, auxiliary machinery, deck machinery, hotel equipment and miscellaneous systems.
- The candidate should be able to supervise and assist in the training of engineering personnel assigned to the watch.
- The candidate should be able to lead and/or participates in, damage control, firefighting, environmental response and other drills, exercises and operations
- The candidate should be able to maintain and update machinery maintenance records, as well as engine room log and oil record books.
- The candidate should be able to provide all support necessary to ensure CCG meets its mandate.
- The employees get to work in a well known company
- The employees get an inclusive and a barrier free work environment
- The employees get to work in a place who is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve.
- The employees get employment equity at the work environment
- The employees get competitive salary and other financial benefits
- The employees get to work in accordance to flexible work arrangements, volunteer days, and family-related leave
- The employees get learning and training opportunities to get support in their current and future career
- The employees get to work with one of the Canada’s top employers
The Canadian Coast Guard is known to be entrusted to deliver valuable programs and services to Canadians that save lives, protect the environment and support our Canadian economy. The company is known to offer an exciting sea-going and shore-based career opportunities in the delivery of critical maritime safety, security and response services. The company has also received a special recognition as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume, references and being prepared for the screening questions) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!