The Canadian Coast Guard is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Fishing Officer/Fishing Mate at St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Dartmouth (Nova Scotia). Canadian Coast Guard can be defined as a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). We work to embrace proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians. We are known to be responsible for duties such as response to on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade. We have also got an announcement by the government of Canada, an Oceans Protection Plan, a whole of government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. We are known to be dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We always look for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or permanent employment. The shifts the candidate has to work are yet to be determined. The intent of the process is to create an inventory of candidates that will be used to staff RELIEF positions on a term (temporary) basis for the Canadian Coast Guard in the Central and Arctic Region – Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Sector.
Employer Name: Canadian Coast Guard
Position: Fishing Officer/Fishing Mate
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $39.14 to $43.39 per hour
Employment Type: Full time-term opportunities
Location: St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador), Dartmouth (Nova Scotia)
Last Date of Application: 16th September 2023
Shifts: To be determined
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language
Education: Candidates don’t need standard educational qualifications such as high school, bachelor’s degree, a certificate or a diploma
Experience: Candidates need experience in various fields the details of the same are mentioned below
To be determined
- The candidate should have a valid Transport Canada Watchkeeping Mate Near Coastal CoC or higher and a Valid Transport Canada Fishing Master Class III CoC or higher.
- The candidate should have experience as a Fishing Officer, Officer of a Watch or Boatswain on a CCG Offshore Fishery Science Vessel or experience as a Fishing Mate, Officer of a Watch, Boatswain or Deck Supervisor on a Commercial Stern Trawler
- The candidate should be able to work effectively with others
- The candidate should be someone who can be dependent on
- The candidate should have judgement skills
- The candidate should have a valid Transport Canada Watchkeeping Mate Certificate CoC or higher.
- The candidate should have a valid Transport Canada Fishing Master Class II CoC or higher.
- The candidate should have a successful completion of training in one or more of the following areas such as Rescue Specialist and Twiners Course
- The candidate should have experience in repairing and maintaining Stern Trawler Fishing Gear and Equipment such as splicing wire rope, natural and synthetic fibre ropes
- The candidate should have secret security clearance
- The candidate should have a valid Health Canada medical for seagoing personnel
- The candidate should be able to maintain a valid Certificate of Competency
- The candidate should meet the requirement to go to sea for prolonged periods of time and in adverse weather conditions
- The candidate should meet the requirement to travel by air, land or by sea
- The candidate should meet the requirement to wear and maintain a uniform, safety footwear, and personal protective equipment to Canadian Coast Guard standards
- The candidate should be required to work overtime when required
- The candidate should be willing to be deployed within the Atlantic Region
- The candidate should have the compliance with the CCG Safety Management System and Standards
- The candidate should have the adherence to the Canadian Coast Guard Respiratory Protection Program
- For vessels assigned primarily to Search and Rescue operations, the candidates must be- within 30 minutes response time to the vessel during assigned work period
- The candidate should have a valid Canadian Passport (for identified positions)
- All the candidates who are hired as the part of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- The candidate should be able to supervise all research fishing operations, ensuring that the requirements of the Science Branch are met.
- The candidate should be responsible for the custody and maintenance of all fishing equipment aboard the Departmental Research Vessel.
- The candidate should be conning the vessel during fishing operations in co-operation with the Officer of the Watch; controlling all necessary winches from the central control point on the vessel’s bridge or fishing deck; monitoring such variables as warp length, vessel’s speed, depth, time and other parameters which determine the success of each set.
- The candidate should be able to provide all support necessary to ensure CCG meets its mandate.
- The candidate should have the ability to stand a navigational watch at sea, and assume responsibility for the safety of the vessel and crew.
- The employees get to work in a well known company
- The employees get an inclusive and a barrier free work environment
- The employees get to work in a place who is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve.
- The employees get employment equity at the work environment
- The employees get competitive salary and other financial benefits
- The employees get various paid leave benefits
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume documents and certifications/training certificates that are listed above) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!