The Mustard Seed based in Calgary, AB is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Homeless Shelter Worker – Canada Summer Jobs. The Mustard Seed is a Christian non-profit organization that has been caring for individuals experiencing homelessness and poverty. We are operating in five cities across Alberta and British Columbia. We are known as a supportive haven where people can have their physical, mental, and spiritual needs met and grow toward greater health and independence. For more than three decades, we have been an agent of change, thanks to our donors, volunteers, and support from the community.
The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or internship/co-op employment. The shifts the candidate has to work are yet to be determined.
Employer Name: The Mustard Seed
Position: Homeless Shelter Worker – Canada Summer Jobs
Position Type: Internship (8 weeks)
No of Vacancies: 4
Salary: $18.00 per hour for 35 hours per week
Employment Type: Full time, Summer Jobs
Location: Calgary, AB
Shifts: To be determined and other shift including weekend
Reporting To: Basic Services Program Director
Internship Time: This internship runs for 8 weeks and applicants must be able to attend all 8 weeks
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language.
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualifications such as a diploma/certificate in relevant discipline
Experience: Candidates should have customer support experience, experience working with volunteers and in a team environment (experience in social work or counseling is preferred).
- The candidate should be able to work in an environment with moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, and daily interactions with colleagues and guests;
- The candidate should be able to work in often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve
- The candidate should have strong people and communication skills
- The candidate should have knowledge of mental illness and addictions
- The candidate should have the ability to remain composed under pressure
- The candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- The candidate should have the training in using two-way radio communications, including MS Office based computer programming, as well as the HMIS database system, FDARP, FOIP, First aid, NVCI, and SafeTalk
- The candidate should have the desire to serve the Christian ministry
- The candidate should have an Employment Background Check for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, it requires the candidates to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- The candidate must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- The candidate should be between 18 and 30 years of age
- The candidate should be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- The candidate should have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- The candidate should not be a member of the Immediate Family of the Employer or a member of the Immediate Family of an officer or director of the Employer
- The candidate should be able to work as a part of the team and closely with Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter.
- The candidate has to remain on the front line and respond to guest needs on an ongoing basis, while maintaining the shelter daily operations
- The candidate should be able to work alongside our many volunteers and ensure that clients of the shelter are supported, trained, and cared for.
- The candidate should be able to handle crisis intervention and conflict resolution as daily occurrences for this role
- The candidate should be able to support guests seeking shelter through meeting basic needs and assisting guests with internal and external resources in a respectful manner
- The candidate should be able to respect proper boundaries with guests
- The candidate should be able to perform administrative tasks, maintain guest records and write accurate logs
- The candidate should be able to support and work alongside volunteers
- The candidate should be a pro-active and supportive teammate to fellow staff members
- The candidate should be able to support TMS culture, ministry, and uphold TMS values
- The candidate should be able to maintain daily shelter operations which includes laundry, operating the hygiene room, cleaning the dining room, mat area and washrooms, maintain and operating the locker room, conducting searches and security walks
- The candidate should be able to maintain a safe environment through supervision, zone and bathroom checks, and enforcing shelter expectations with guests;
- The candidate should be available to take on-call shifts as required
- The candidate should be able to attend required training
- The candidate should be able to perform other duties as assigned
- The employees get to work to benefit the community
- The employees get career development opportunities
- The employees get to work in a well-known place
- The employees get other benefits such as free refreshments at work, health benefits and more
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume) through below mentioned details.
Note: International students are not eligible for this post
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!