Canadian Coast Guard based in St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Dartmouth (Nova Scotia) are inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Steward. Canadian Coast Guard can be defined as a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). We work to embrace proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians. We are known to be responsible for duties such as response to on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade. We have also got an announcement by the government of Canada, an Oceans Protection Plan, a whole of government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. We are known to be dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We always look for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or casual employment. The shifts the candidate has to work are yet to be determined.
The intent of the process is to create an inventory of candidates that will be used to staff RELIEF positions on a term (temporary) basis for the Canadian Coast Guard in the Central and Arctic Region – Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Sector.
Employer Name: Canadian Coast Guard
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $56,328 annually
Employment Type: Full time-term opportunities
Location: St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Dartmouth (Nova Scotia)
Last Date of Application: 19th September 2023
Shifts: To be determined
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language
Education: Candidates don’t need standard educational qualifications such as high school, bachelor’s degree, a certificate or a diploma
Experience: Candidates need experience in various fields the details of the same are mentioned below
To be determined
- The candidate should have a valid Marine Emergency Duties certificate STCW Basic Safety
- The candidate should have an effective interpersonal skills
- The candidate should be someone who can be dependent on
- The candidate should have a valid Marine Emergency Duties certificate Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats [B1] OR Valid MED Refresher – Marine Basic Safety and Proficiency in Survival Craft (STCW BS and PSC)
- The candidates are required for periods of employment in excess of 6 months
- The candidate should have a professional cook certificate
- The candidate should have a valid Marine Basic first aid certificate or higher.
- The candidate should have experience in Hospitality/Hotel Services or providing professional housekeeping or janitorial services or services with the food industry or experience as a steward on an ocean going vessel.
- The candidate should have experience working as a cook.
- The candidate should have experience on seagoing vessels.
- The candidate should have experience as a Steward on a Coast Guard vessel.
- The candidate should have experience in taking inventories and ordering supplies.
- The candidate should have the reliability or Secret security clearance
- The candidate should have a valid Health Canada medical for seagoing personnel
- The candidate should be able to maintain a valid Certificate of Competency
- The candidate should have the requirement to go to sea for prolonged periods of time and in adverse weather conditions
- The candidate should have the requirement to travel by air, land or by sea
- The candidate should have the requirement to wear and maintain a uniform, safety footwear, and personal protective equipment to Canadian Coast Guard standards
- The candidate is required to work overtime when required
- The candidate should have the willingness to be deployed within the Atlantic Region
- The candidate should have the compliance with the CCG Safety Management System and Standards
- The candidate should have the adherence to the Canadian Coast Guard Respiratory Protection Program
- For the vessels assigned primarily to Search and Rescue operations, the candidates must be- within 30 minutes response time to the vessel during assigned work period
- The candidate should hold a valid passport
- The candidate should have a valid Health Canada Medical (however, a valid Transport Canada Seafarers medical may be accepted on initial appointment for a period of up to a maximum of 6 months or until a Health Canada Medical is completed)
- The candidate should be able to fulfill other duties as applicable
- All the candidates who are hired as the part of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- The candidate should be able to prepare the dining room, mess rooms and pantries for food service, serve meals and perform after meal clean-up.
- The candidate should be able to perform hotel services and cleans accommodation and common areas including laundry services in a timely manner.
- The candidate should be able to participate in shipboard emergency and safety drills, firefighting, abandoning ship and other operations such as search and rescue.
- The candidate should be able to provide all support necessary to ensure CCG meets its mandate.
- The employees get to work in a well known company
- The employees get an inclusive and a barrier free work environment
- The employees get to work in a place who is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve.
- The employees get employment equity at the work environment
- The employees get competitive salary and other financial benefits
- The employees get various paid leave benefits
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume documents and certifications/training certificates that are listed above) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!