Rec, Cultural & Facility Services Dept. from City of Ottawa based in Ottawa, ON is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Summer Student – Inclusive Recreation Camp Counselor. City of Ottawa is Canada’s capital, in the east of southern Ontario, near the city of Montréal and the U.S. border. Our Ottawa River, has at its centre Parliament Hill, with grand Victorian architecture and museums such as the National Gallery of Canada, with noted collections of indigenous and other Canadian art. Our park-lined Rideau Canal is filled with boats in summer and ice-skaters in winter. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible.
Employer’s Name: Rec, Cultural & Facility Services Dept. from City of Ottawa
Position: Summer Student – Inclusive Recreation Camp Counselor
No of Vacancies: Multiple Positions
Salary: $15.500 to $16.034 per hour, fair pay, according to 80% of employee reviews (2023 rates of pay)
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Ottawa, ON
Shifts: To be determined
Requisition ID: 5969
Department: Rec, Cultural & Facility Services Dept.
Affiliation: Non Union/Non MPE
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English, French or Bilingual Language
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualification such as post-secondary Student – completion of first year college or university in Nursing, Developmental Services Worker, Recreation and Leisure, or related field
Experience: Candidates need an experience of 8 months to 1 year
- The candidate should be physically fit and able to participate in active recreation activities
- The candidate should be in a proper attire and footwear
- The candidate should have certificates such as Current Standard First Aid, CPR and/or AED certificates, AODA Accessibility/IASR Training, Alternative Communication Systems (ASL- American Sign Language) training is desirable, Ergonomic Lifts and Transfers training, Crisis Prevention/Intervention training certificate is an asset and Principles of Healthy Child Development training course – High Five is desirable
- The candidate should have the knowledge of Children/Youth with special needs
- The candidate should be able to understand the development and recreational needs of children also have the knowledge of AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act) Legislated training
- The candidate should have the knowledge of City of Ottawa Core Training also be able to take care of applicable Ottawa Parks & Recreation, policies and procedures
- The candidate must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance also must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures
- The candidate should have programming skills in crafts, sports, games, creative play, stories and music also have experience working with children and/or youth with special needs.
- The candidate should have the ability to operate any required tools/equipment also have the ability to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures.
- The candidate should have the ability to accompany and supervise participants in a variety of environments including aquatic also be able to lift and transfers procedures (as instructed and trained) to avoid participant or self injury
- The candidate should have the ability to promote teamwork and to work independently when appropriate also be able to maintain a fun and safe environment.
- The candidate should have an excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership and programming planning skills also have interest or experience working with people with disabilities.
- The candidate should have skills such as Good judgment, leadership and team spirit, Show initiative, Patient, Good role model, Trustworthy, Leadership skills, Reliable, Flexible, creative, Enthusiastic and Organized
- The candidate should be able to get done a police record check
- The candidate should be responsible for building a healthy, inclusive and vibrant City, as well as ensuring that communities, residents and visitors have access to the recreation and cultural places, programs, events and services that allow them to experience all the benefits the City has to offer, and overseeing Buildings and Facilities Management for improved service delivery integration, ensuring the best possible client experience in City facilities.
- The candidate should be responsible for assisting with all functions related to the delivery of summer camp programs to ensure a safe and enjoyable camp experience for special needs children/youth registered at the camp also be able to provide direct client care and intervention, and program adaptation. The programs may take place indoors, outdoors, or in a variety of locations
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply (along with your resume) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!