City of Ottawa based in Ottawa, ON is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Summer Student – Park District Director. City of Ottawa is Canada’s capital, in the east of southern Ontario, near the city of Montréal and the U.S. border. Our Ottawa River has at its centre Parliament Hill, with grand Victorian architecture and museums such as the National Gallery of Canada, with noted collections of indigenous and other Canadian art. Our park-lined Rideau Canal is filled with boats in summer and ice-skaters in winter. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible.
Employer’s Name: City of Ottawa
Position: Summer Student – Park District Director
Job Location: Ottawa, ON
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $17.370 to $18.706 per hour (2023 rates of pay)
Employment Type: Full time
Shifts: To be determined
Requisition ID: 5928
Department: Rec, Cultural & Facility Services Dept.
Affiliation: Non Union/Non MPE
Job Category: Summer Student Recruitment
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English, French or Bilingual Language
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualification such as Post-secondary Student – completion of first year college or university
Experience: Candidates need an experience of 1-2 years, with related experience is required, with Parks Wading Pool program or equivalent experience Aquatic Leadership will be considered an asset.
- The candidate should be physically fit and able to participate in recreation activities
- The candidate should be capable of safe lifting techniques and also be in a proper attire and footwear
- The candidate should have the capacity to lead, supervise, train and motivate staff
- The candidates having certificates such as Current Standard First Aid, CPR and/or AED certificates, AODA Accessibility/IASR Training, Current Lifeguard, Lifesaving, Water Safety and/or Swim Instructor certificates, Principles of Healthy Child Development training course – High Five, Quest 2 Tool training course – High Five is desirable
- The candidate should have an extensive knowledge of park program and also have an Advanced Computer knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- The candidate should have experience working with preschoolers and/or school age children and/or youth.
- The candidate must possess the training, experience and knowledge to organize the work and its performance and also must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the workplace, and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff in accordance with applicable legislation and City policies and procedures.
- The candidate should have City of Ottawa Parks & Recreation Core training also having skills such as Leadership and Team Building workshops are an asset
- The candidate should be able to manage full time use of a car as of the 1st of June.
- The candidate should have park Program experience, proven capacity to lead, train and motivate staff
- The candidate should have skills such as conflict management, problem solving and ability to multitask and also have a strong organizational skills and ability to complete required reports, statistics and evaluations as assigned.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate supervisory and strong leadership skills and also have an experience and demonstrated ability to train, supervise and evaluate staff.
- The candidate should be able to provide conflict resolution and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage simultaneous demands and also have the ability to work in a team setting or independently
- The candidate should be able to maintain a fun and safe environment and also have an excellent interpersonal communication, leadership and programming skills
- The candidate should have good organization skills and also have Sound judgment skills in difficult situations
- The candidate must be able to relate to children and be a good role model, must be tactful, kind and patient and also must be calm under pressure
- The candidate must be creative and resourceful, must be reliable and trustworthy and also must be flexible and enthusiastic
- The candidate must have good written and verbal communication skills, and must be able to work well in a team environment and also enjoy working with the public.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills with the ability to motivate teams.
The candidate should be able to provide a police record check
- The candidate should be able to provide strategic vision and innovative leadership in managing customer centric sports, physical activity, aquatics and recreation venues, programs and services for all ages, including the management of facilities and/or land, and for the delivery of indoor and outdoor recreation programs and services and also be able to provide city wide access to adapted, therapeutic and integrated recreation programs, giving children, youth and adults with special needs the opportunity to participate in community recreation.
- The candidate should be responsible for overseeing the daily operation of multiple wading pools within a designated district, and ensure the safety and enjoyment of patrons in a wading pool/park environment and also be able to work with full time City staff and co-workers to ensure the wading pool program meets the needs of the participants, falls in line with the branch mandate and follows all guidelines, policies and procedures
- The candidate should also be responsible for staff supervision and mentoring, program planning, administration, client relations, assisting with staff training and hiring, compiling statistics and completing reports
- The candidate should be able to operate and required tools/equipment and also be able to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures
- The candidate should be able to follow verbal and/or written directions/procedures
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply (along with your resume) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!