Summer Student, Labourer
Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo based in Fort McMurray and Anzac is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Summer Student, Labourer. Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is one of the largest municipalities by area in Canada. Our Municipality is rich in cultural diversity, and as an organization, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and supportive workplace that reflects the community in which we live. We proudly say the Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo region home and work closely with Council to serve all residents, stakeholders, partners and community organizations. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible.
Employer’s Name: Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Position: Summer Student, Labourer
No of Vacancies: 32 (24 positions will work in the Parks & Roads Services Branch, 4 positions will work in the Facilities Services Branch and 4 positions will work in the Rural Operations Branch (Anzac)
Salary: $27.13 per hour
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Fort McMurray and Anzac
Shifts: To be determined
Requisition ID: 1655
Affiliation: CUPE Municipal
Position Type: Seasonal Student
Fixed Term Duration: Approximately four (4) months
Bi-weekly Working Hours: As Required
Department/ Branch: Public Works
Pay Level: PL6 (70%)
COLA: Bi-Weekly – $480
Posting Type: Internal and External
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language
Education: Candidates need standard educational qualification such as successful completion of one (1) year of postsecondary education and high school diploma or equivalent is required
Experience: Candidates don’t need experience although having experience is an asset
- The candidate should have the ability to understand and execute verbal directions and also be able to demonstrate knowledge of occupational hazards, signage, use of personal protective equipment (PPE), and applicable safety precautions as per municipal and industry standards.
- The candidate should have the ability to deal courteously and effectively with a diverse range of people, using judgment, and tact, sometimes in conflict situations also have the ability to work collaboratively and productively with co-workers and actively contribute to team activities.
- The candidate should have the ability to multitask, organize work, set priorities, and achieve work related objectives and goals and also pay attention to detail and accuracy
- The candidate should have the ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time under various weather conditions and must also be able to listen attentively and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- The candidate should have the general math, numeracy, and reading skills.
- The candidate should be able to perform duties involved in Parks and Roads Services, Facilities Services and Rural Operations.
- The candidate should be able to perform other tasks that are not limited to cleaning and maintaining all assigned areas, operating a variety of small equipment and hand/power tools of a limited-skill nature, and performing general laborer duties.
- The candidate should be able to receive verbal and written instructions from a Supervisor, Team Lead, or designate and work is monitored or checked in progress and upon completion to ensure that instructions are properly carried out and meet set standards
- The candidate should be able to maintain assigned areas using various small hand and power tools and equipment and also perform various maintenance duties such as cutting grass, weeding, raking, planting, picking rocks, collecting refuse, sweeping and painting.
- The candidate should be able to assist with cleaning gutters on eavestroughs, clean and power wash facilities, walkways, decks and parking lots as assigned also operate assigned equipment and light motorized vehicles including, but not limited to, small engine equipment, implements, pick-up trucks, skid steers, multi-use vehicles, snow removal equipment, and professional grass cutting equipment.
- The candidate should be able to load, unload, and deliver material and supplies from and to various locations and also assist with inspections of signage/barricades for deficiencies and crosswalks for sightline and road markings.
- The candidate should be able to assist with installation and maintenance of street signs, also assist with digging and filling holes and assist with traffic control.
- The candidate should be able to assist in the painting of road markings, including crosswalks and the maintenance of guardrails and underground vaults also respond to public enquiries in a courteous and effective manner.
- The candidate should be able to Maintain daily records, also complete training on equipment and participate in RMWB training programs as required by operations.
- The candidate should be able to complete field level hazard assessments (FLHAs) and incident reports as required and also perform all other related duties as required.
- The candidate should be responsible for understanding and actively participating in the RMWB’s health and safety management system, including all policies, practices, procedures, as well as properly utilizing all control measures including the required use of personal protective equipment.
- The candidate should be able to take responsible care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others, as well as immediately report any concerns, near misses, incidents, and hazardous conditions to their supervisor
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply (along with your resume) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!