Canada Summer Jobs are mainly offered to help the youth, who are looking to learn new skills and gain valuable experience so that they will be able to make a successful transition into the labour market. The Government of Canada approves funding to all the eligible employers or organizations under the Canada Summer Jobs program to help the youth aged between 15 and 30 gain quality work experience.
Before approving funding for a project from an employer, Service Canada collects all the information in the application about the employer/organization such as health and safety measures in practice, supervisory and mentoring plans for the youth, work environment policies and protocols, skill development programs for the youth etc for screening and assessing the eligibility of an employer/organization for Canada Summer Jobs program.
Now, let us learn more about Canada Summer Jobs.
Employer Name: Canadian Job Bank
No. of vacancies: 35,000+
Salary: $1,800.00 – $6,200.00 per month
Employment Type: Full time, Part-Time
Location: Various cities, Canada
Government of Canada Summer Jobs 2022
After the COVID-19, since the economy was affected, the Canadian Government has decided to create 100,000 Canada Summer Jobs for the young job seekers in order to help the economy start growing again.
So, when it comes to the Canada Summer Jobs 2022, the government is encouraging and funding many Canadian employers to create more summer jobs for 2022. Due to the pandemic COVID-19 still, around, employers are supposed to take good initiatives for ensuring health and safety measures at their workplace for the employees as per the territorial, provincial or municipal public health guidance.
Canada Summer Jobs Program
Canada Summer Jobs program is a wage subsidy program to help various businesses in Canada create more jobs for the youth between 15 and 30, who are struggling to find an opportunity that gives them the experience to enter the labour market.
There are some objectives and guidelines issued by the Government of Canada under the Youth Development and Skills Strategy.
We have listed them below :
- The employer must have less than 50 employees.
- The employer should provide full-time employment to its employees with a minimum of 30 hours a week for a minimum of 6 weeks duration.
- The employer should provide a valuable and quality work experience to the employees.
- They need to provide employees with opportunities to develop and improve their skills.
- The Canada Summer Jobs program provides wage subsidies to employers from not-for-profit organizations, private sector and public sector organizations with a maximum of 50 employees to create a quality work environment with all the safety measures included for the youth aged between 15 and 30.
Summer Student Jobs 2022
Some of the Canada Summer Jobs for Students include :
- Project Associate
- Operations Agent
- Indigenous Student Internships
- Ergonomics Assistant
- Research Student
- Student Inventory etc.
Canada Summer Jobs Student Eligibility
The youth applying for the Canada Summer Jobs for students need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria :
- He/she should be between 15-30 years of age.
- He/she should be a permanent resident of Canada, or they should be a Canadian Citizens or they should be legally permitted and protected under the Immigration and Refugee protection during the period of employment.
- They should also have a Social Insurance number which is valid at the time of employment.
- They should have all the legal permits to be able to work in Canada according to the provincial regulations of work permits.
International Students will not be eligible for the program. However, if there are recent immigrants with Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residence in Canada, will be eligible to apply for the Canada Summer Jobs.
Canada Summer Jobs Student Application
The students/youth in the age group 15-30 can start applying now at the earliest through the Canadian Job bank website as we keep you updated with the latest information on Canada
Summer Jobs programs.
The main aim of Canada Summer Jobs was to encourage Canadian employers to provide a quality employment experience to young Canadians and to the youth who are categorized under the National Priorities as shown below:
- Youth who have left their schooling and they are not currently a part of any education or training.
- Blacks racialized youth.
- Youth with various disabilities.
- Indigenous Youth etc.
Canada Summer Jobs Application
Organizations with eligible projects may start applying for the Canada Summer Jobs program through the Canadian Job Bank portal as the website keeps updating itself often with the latest updates from the concerned Department.
Ensure that your projects meet all the eligibility criteria and all the requirements before you apply for funding from the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
How to submit your application
It is advisable to apply for Canada Summer Jobs through the electronically fillable online application as it is much easier and quicker when compared to submitting them manually.
Manual submission of forms to the offices in Canada is not so advisable as there may be office closures due to COVID-19.
Advantages of filling out the online application form and submitting them include :
- You will be able to fill up and submit the whole application without having to create an account.
- If you have filled up a form and you want to complete and submit it later, you could save it by registering your email address and creating a password of your own. By doing this, a link will be sent to your email to complete the form. However, if you lose the password created, you will lose all the information entered and you will have to fill out the form again from the beginning.
- After saving the incomplete form, you will need to come back and complete the form within 2 days(48 hours). If you fail to complete the form on time, you will lose all the information and you will need to fill the form all over again.
- Filling the online application helps you submit your forms as early as possible as submitting them manually is time-consuming and the forms may not reach the concerned officials on time because of office closures due to holidays and on the weekends.
Once you complete filling out the form, make sure you click on the ‘submit’ button. Only if you have clicked on the ‘submit’ button after the ‘print’ does the form gets submitted and only then it reach the in-charge officials in Canada.
Once you have submitted the form successfully the system generates a confirmation number. A mail will also be sent to you with the confirmation number. The confirmation number will be sent to you as an acknowledgement of your form having reached the concerned department.
Canada Summer Jobs eligibility
Canadian Employers must meet the following program eligibility to qualify for funding from the Government. In case of any violation after the funding has been approved, it may affect the eligibility of your organization for funding and the Government will not be able to reimburse your payment for the youth working in your organization.
The Canada Summer Jobs program eligibility criteria:
- The program must provide full-time employment experience to its employees between April 25th, 2022 and September 3rd, 2022. The program should last for a minimum of 6 weeks to 16 weeks duration.
- The program must encourage the youth to identify and develop their skills.
- The program should have a work environment that is inclusive and does not discriminate against any caste, religion, nationality, race, colour, creed etc and gives equal respect to all Canadians.
- The program should not have activities that take place outside Canada.
- The program should not involve partisan political activities.
- The program should not include fundraising activities in order to cover the salaries paid to the youth employees.
- The program should not advocate intolerance, discrimination, prejudice etc.
- The program should not work towards sabotaging or restricting a woman’s access to sexual and reproductive health care services.
Canada Summer Jobs requirement
There are 15 eligibility requirements a Canadian Employer has to meet before applying for the Canada Summer Jobs Program. If an organization doesn’t meet the requirements, it may not be approved for funding from the Government of Canada.
The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- The application has to be submitted on time before the deadline is reached.
- The attestation box has to be checked.
- The application submitted should be complete.
- The employer should have met all the eligibility criteria.
- The projects provided by the employer should all be eligible.
- The duration of the job offer should be at least for a period between 6 and 16 weeks.
- The job offer should be a full-time job for 30 to 40 hours per week.
- The employer will need to mention if they will apply, have applied or have received
funding from any other sources earlier.
- The salary provided by the employer should meet the minimum wage requirement as per the province or territory.
- The employer will have to mention if their organization owes any money to the Government of Canada.
- The employer must ensure proper safety measures are followed. The employer should ensure that the employees are also aware of the safety measures to be undertaken whenever necessary.
- The employer should ensure that they have a work environment and have hiring practices that are free from discrimination and harassment of any kind.
- The employer must have a supervisory plan for the youth and all the job activities proposed.
- The employer should also have a good mentoring plan in place for the youth.
- The department will verify all the past document evidence from the employer’s previous agreements. If there is any evidence that shows if the employer is ineligible for the funding program, there are chances of the application not being approved by the department.
If in case your application is found incomplete after submitting it, Service Canada may get in touch with you by sending you a letter to fill out the form. In case you receive any such letter, you will need to complete the form and resubmit it again within 5 business days. Failure to fill out the form on time may cause the concerned department to mark your proposal ineligible.
Before applying for the Canada Summer Jobs program the organization has to be enrolled with Canada Revenue Agency(CRA). The organization should have a payroll deductions program(RP) before hiring the youth for the Canada Summer Jobs program.
Canada Summer Jobs employee and employer declaration
The Employer and Employee declaration has to be completed within 7 days of the beginning of the Canada Summer Jobs program. The Employer and Employee declaration is to be submitted for each and every employee.
Well, before submitting the Employer and Employee declaration, the employee needs to complete and provide a signature on the Employee Consent Form.
Canada Summer Jobs Grant
An employer or an organization can use Grants and Contributions Online Services(GCOS) in order to apply for various funding programs with ESDC(Employment and Social Development Canada).
If you have an account with GCOS, you will be able to easily :
- Submit and track your application status.
- Sign new agreements,
- Manage all active projects.
- Submit supporting documents if any.
- Review past projects if any of them were applied through GCOS.
There are some key dates to note for the Canada Summer Jobs 2022
- Applications have to be submitted on or before January 25th, 2022.
- Funding confirmations will be sent to the employers from the beginning of April 2022.
- The earliest date for starting the job will be the 25th of April, 2022.
- The last date to start the job will be July 24th, 2022.
- The last date to end the job should be the 3rd of September, 2022.
- The last date to submit a claim will be within 30 days following the last Canada Summer jobs funded placement.
Important note: Once the applications are submitted, the employers receive a receipt of confirmation of having completed the form. The receipt of confirmation does not mean the project application has been approved for funding. So, project/job activities cannot be started before a formal agreement has been signed between the employer and the Service Canada Representative.
Every year various Companies ( Non- Government) is also hiring employees during summer time. Check the available positions:
|Food Security Worker||Ontario||View & Apply|
|Temporary Full Time Day Camp Leader||Ontario||View & Apply|
|Lifeguard||British Columbia||View & Apply|
|Food Counter Attendant||Alberta||View & Apply|
|Community Organizer||Ontario||View & Apply|
|Homeless Shelter Worker||Alberta||View & Apply|
|Youth Worker||British Columbia||View & Apply|
|Summer Jobs 2022 Various Opportunities||Alberta||View & Apply|
|Summer Camp Supervisor||British Columbia||View & Apply|
|Summer Workers||Québec||View & Apply|
|Lift Operator||British Columbia||View & Apply|
|Summer Seasonal-Lift Operator||British Columbia||View & Apply|
|Summer Delivery Helper||Ontario||View & Apply|
|Summer Student-Elevator Operator||Alberta||View & Apply|
|Customer Service Representative-Summer 2022 Intern (GTR) Evergreen||Ontario||View & Apply|
|Seasonal/Summer Student-Feed Mill Worker||Ontario||View & Apply|
Q1.How much money can you make in a summer job in Canada?
- Entry-level positions can approximately earn you $27,000 per year
- An average summer student can earn around $31,000 per year
- Most of the experienced positions earn you around $40,000 per year.
Q2.How old do you have to be to get a summer job in Canada?
In order to apply for a Canada Summer Jobs program, the youth should be between 15 and 30 years of age regardless of the level of education or the status of the youth.
Q3.Is it hard to find a Canada Summer Job?
Since the Summer Jobs are in huge demand, the jobs get filled weeks or months earlier to the beginning of the summer jobs program.
So, if you have decided to find a summer job, start applying right now for it. Remember! It is never too early to start looking for a summer job and start applying for it in Canada.
Q4.Can a seasonal job turn into a permanent one?
Yes, there are chances of your temporary summer jobs turning into permanent jobs if you have the ability to impress your supervisors with your skills and efficiency at your work and contribution towards the company goals.