Ontario Public Services, Ministry of Transportation, division of the Operations Division, Transportation User Services, Wolfe Island Marine Services is hiring for the position of Oiler (On-Call). If you are passionate to work in Government Sector in Ontario, then the Ministry of Transportation can be a great choice. The Ontario Public Services, Ministry of Transportation includes job opportunities at ministries, agencies, and Crown corporations. We are known to serve both employees and employers by providing the best services. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible.
Employer Name: Ontario Public Services, Ministry of Transportation
Position: Oiler (On-Call)
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $25.06 – $27.78 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement. This position is irregular, and on-call and the hours are not guaranteed and will vary between 0 and 40 hours per week.
Shift: Shift work is required for this 24/7 operation
Employment Type: Full time
Location: 295 Ontario St, Kingston, East Region
Division: Operations Division, Transportation User Services, Wolfe Island Marine Services
Job Term: 2 Temporary, Irregular On-Call contracts up to 12 months
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Category: Maintenance and Trades
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English Language.
Education: Candidates don’t need standard educational qualification such as high school, bachelor’s degree, a certificate or a diploma
Experience: Candidates don’t need experience although having experience is an asset
- The candidate should be able to enjoy working indoors and outdoors and understand the physical characteristics and conditions of an engine room
- The candidate should be a work safely and effectively on engines and mechanical equipment
- The candidate must have a Transport Canada Engine Room Rating Certificate and also have a Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada (STCW Minimum)
- The candidate should have proven marine mechanical aptitude and also have proven knowledge of seamanship principles and practices.
- The candidate should have demonstrated understanding of the operation, testing and maintenance of fire-fighting and lifesaving equipment and also have the ability to apply knowledge of relevant Transport Canada regulations and Ministry Standing Orders for Ferry Operations.
- The candidate should be able to ensure the operation of the vessel in a safe and lawful manner and also be able to meet the essential bona fide requirements of the Physical Demands Analysis
- The candidate should have effective communication skills and also be able to make effective decisions and can exercise good judgment
- The candidate should have the ability to follow detailed technical instructions
- The candidate should be able to provide security clearance and a criminal record check
- The candidate should be able to work under the guidance of the Marine Engineer, assisting in the safe operation and maintenance of the Wolfe Island Ferry system and also operate and maintain the ferry, ferry landings, machinery, equipment, buildings and safety gear
- The candidate should be able to inspect and diagnose machinery and equipment defects and also maintain watertight integrity and proper ventilation of compartments
- The candidate should be able to ensure proper lubrication and cooling of machinery and also degrease equipment and deck surfaces to reduce risk of fire and injuries
- The candidate should be able to conduct routine cleaning, maintenance and repair tasks and also assist in minor running repairs and in major engine and propulsion overhauls
- The candidate should be able to carry out assigned duties in emergency situations in accordance with Ministry Standing Orders for Ferry Operations, under the direction of the Captain or Marine Engineer and also assume the duties of Deckhand when required
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply (along with your resume) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected, and conducted for further procedures directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!