The Canadian Coast Guard is inviting applications from suitable candidates for various Cook Positions at St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Dartmouth (Nova Scotia). Canadian Coast Guard can be defined as a Special Operating Agency within Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). We work to embrace proactive culture for 24/7 service to Canadians and for Canadians. We are known to be responsible for duties such as response to on-water and maritime incidents using a variety of vessels, hovercraft, helicopters, and small craft; and providing vital information and assistance to vessels, including navigation support, distress and safety communications and coordination of maritime trade. We have also got an announcement by the government of Canada, an Oceans Protection Plan, a whole of government approach to improve marine safety, to work with Indigenous groups, provinces, territories, and other stakeholders to better co-manage Canada’s oceans. We are known to be dedicated to deliver on this significant initiative and other departmental commitments. We always look for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team in making an impact on the lives of Canadians. The candidates who will get selected for the vacancy will be required to start the work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to full time or permanent employment. The shifts the candidate has to work are yet to be determined. The intent of the process is to create an inventory of candidates that will be used to staff RELIEF positions on a term (temporary) basis for the Canadian Coast Guard in the Central and Arctic Region – Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Sector.
Employer Name: Canadian Coast Guard
Position: Various Cook Positions
No of Vacancies: To be determined
Salary: $59,436 to $63,348 per year
Employment Type: Full time-term opportunities
Location: St. John’s (Newfoundland and Labrador), Dartmouth (Nova Scotia)
Last Date of Application: 14th September 2023
Shifts: To be determined
Languages: Candidates must have knowledge of the English and Bilingual Imperative Languages
Education: Candidates don’t need standard educational qualifications such as high school, bachelor’s degree, a certificate or a diploma
Experience: Candidates need experience in various fields the details of the same are mentioned below
To be determined
- The candidate should have the possession of a Cook certificate issued by a recognized institute or a TC Ship’s Cook Certificate
- The candidate should have the possession of a Valid Marine Emergency Duties certificates (STCW Basic Safety [A1 and B2]
- The candidate should have the ability to plan
- The candidate should have an effective interpersonal skills
- The candidate should have asset qualifications such as a valid MED B1 proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats
- The candidate should have experience working as a Cook onboard a Canadian Coast Guard vessel.
- The candidate should have experience working as a Cook onboard a ship or in a commercial establishment.
- The candidate should have experience working as a Steward on a vessel or experience in Hospitality/Hotel Services; or providing professional housekeeping; or janitorial services; or services with the food industry
- The candidate should have experience working as a Deckhand
- As a chief cook the candidate should have experience on a Coast Guard Vessel or Commercial Vessel or in a Commercial establishment.
- The candidate should have experience in supervising staff
- The candidate should meet organisation needs such as membership in one of the designated Employment Equity Groups
- The candidate should have reliability security clearance
- The candidate should be willing to be deployed in the Atlantic Region
- The candidate must be willing and able to travel by air, land or by sea
- The candidate must be willing to go to sea for prolonged periods of time (including Arctic Waters) and in adverse weather conditions
- The candidate should have a valid Health Canada Medical for seagoing personnel
- The candidate should be able to maintain a Valid Certificate of Competency
- The candidate should be willing to wear and maintain uniform and personal protective equipment to Coast Guard Standards
- The candidate should be willing and ability to work overtime as required
- For vessels assigned primarily to Search and Rescue operations, the candidates must be within 30 minutes of response time to the vessel during the assigned work period.
- The candidate should have a valid Canadian passport (for identified positions)
- The candidate should have the adherence to Canadian Coast Guard Respiratory Protection Program
- The candidate should have compliance with the CCG Safety Management System and Standards
- All the candidates who are hired as the part of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- The candidate who is cook/steward should have the food, hotel and catering services for the ship’s complement, passengers and guests onboard a Canadian Coast Guard Ship
- The candidate who is cook/deckhand should be able to provide food and catering services to the ship’s complement and passengers.
- The candidate should have the skills to general shipboard maintenance and husbandry, and performance of deck operations as part of work programs aboard a Canadian Coast Guard ship as directed by the Commanding Officer.
- The candidate who is an assistant cook should have an assistant cook should have food and catering services to a Canadian Coast Guard ship’s complement and passengers
- The candidate who is a cook should have the food and catering services to the Canadian Coast Guard ship’s complement and passengers.
- The candidate who is a chief cook should have the food and catering services to the Canadian Coast Guard ship’s complement and passengers
- The employees get to work in a well known company
- The employees get an inclusive and a barrier free work environment
- The employees get to work in a place who is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve.
- The employees get employment equity at the work environment
- The employees get competitive salary and other financial benefits
- The employees get various paid leave benefits
How to apply:
If the position is fit for you and the basic requirements are fulfilled then you can now apply directly to the employer (along with your resume documents and certifications/training certificates that are listed above) through below mentioned details.
We thank all the applicants for showing their interest and trust in us, however, only the most eligible candidates will be selected and conducted for further procedure directly from employers, in between no charges/fees or original documents will be asked from any applicant. All the best!